From MozillaZine Knowledge Base
(Redirected from Firefox : FAQs)
This list of frequently-asked questions (FAQs) about Firefox is organized by subject and may include links to MozillaZine forum topics and other sources in addition to Knowledge Base articles. If you don't find an answer below, open the Help Contents from the Firefox menu, use the Knowledge Base Search function, or browse all articles in the Category:Firefox.
- How do I install Firefox? How do I completely uninstall Firefox?
- Can I have both Firefox 2 and Firefox 3 installed at the same time?
- What's new in Firefox 3? (more here)
- Where can I download Firefox 2 or older Firefox versions?
- How do I set Firefox (or another browser) as the default browser?
- How do I use or configure the Software Update feature to update Firefox?
- Can I uninstall Internet Explorer or can I make it more secure?
- How do I make Firefox dial (connect) automatically in Windows?
- How do I make MSN Messenger open links in Firefox?
Bookmarks and browsing history
- Where are my bookmarks stored?
- How do I import bookmarks from a file, or from Internet Explorer, MSN Explorer, Opera, Netscape or Safari?
- How do I export bookmarks to a file?
- How do I back up and restore my Firefox bookmarks?
- Can I share bookmarks among multiple profiles or store them in a different location? (more here for Firefox 3).
- How do I use the "Live Bookmarks" feature in Firefox to add RSS feeds?
- How can I alphabetically sort or rearrange my list of bookmarks?
- How can I view my browsing history or sort it differently?
- Where is the Firefox profile folder and what does it contain?
- What is the Firefox Profile Manager and how do I access it?
- How do I create a new Firefox profile on Windows?
- How do I transfer profile data such as bookmarks and passwords to a new profile?
- How do I back up my profile?
- How do I move my Firefox profile folder to a different location?
- How do I open a new instance of Firefox with another profile?
- How do I use the Search Bar or add new search engines?
- How do I remove search engines I don't need?
- How do I resize the Search Bar?
Extensions and themes
- Customizing Firefox with add-ons (extensions and themes)
- How do I install extensions?
- What are themes and how do I install a new theme?
- How do I update extensions and themes?
- How do I uninstall extensions and themes?
- What is a plugin? PluginDoc information and downloads
- Where can I test my plugins?
- How can I find out which plugins Firefox is detecting?
- How do I install Java or get it working?
- How do I get the Flash or Shockwave plugins working?
- How do I install or enable the Quicktime browser plugins on Windows?
- How do I install RealPlayer or Real Alternative ?
- How do I install or get the Windows Media Player plugin working?
- The ActiveX plugin doesn't work in Firefox 2 so how do I remove it?
- How can I fix problems with the Adobe Reader plugin or other PDF viewer?
- How can I fix other issues related to plugins?
Privacy and security
- What are cookies and where are they stored?
- What is a master password and how do I set a master password or change the settings?
- How do I block objectionable content?
- How do I delete "autocomplete" entries from the Location Bar, the Search Bar and some form fields on web pages?
- What kind of encryption does Firefox use?
- Where can I see a list of Firefox vulnerabilities?
- What is that small golden lock icon at the bottom of the screen? Why does it sometimes have a red slash over it?
Configuring and customizing Firefox
- Firefox menu Options/Preferences
- How do I edit my configuration files?
- What is the user.js file? What are the userChrome.css and userContent.css files?
- What is about:config and what do the about:config entries represent?
- How do I reset preferences to the Firefox default settings?
- How do I customize my Firefox toolbars?
- How do I disable the autocomplete dropdown? How do I enable inline autocomplete?
- Can I disable the Smart Location Bar ( "AwesomeBar") in Firefox 3 or get the old location bar behavior back?
- What is Firefox Safe Mode and how do I access it to restore default settings or diagnose problems?
- How do I restore the mail integration toolbar and menu items in Firefox 2 to get mail and send new messages?
- What is the Session Restore feature?
- How do I find the Firefox disk cache or change its location?
- What are the accessibility features of Firefox for disabled, blind or visually impaired users?