The Web Applications 1.0 specification (also known as HTML5) defines a new attribute for
ping. This attribute contains one or more URIs to “ping” (send a POST request to) when the user clicks the link. The attribute would be useful for letting websites track visitors’ clicks.
Since the feature has possible privacy implications—not unlike the
Referer header—it can be turned off.
Possible values and their effects
Send a POST request to URI(s) listed in the
ping attribute of
<a> HTML elements. (Default in Firefox until 2008-02-01 nightlies)
ping attribute. (Default elsewhere & Firefox nightlies since 2008-02-01)
First checked in
Has an effect in
- Mozilla Firefox (all trunk builds since 2006-01-10)
- SeaMonkey (all trunk builds since 2006-01-10)
- Bug 319368 - Implement <a ping>
- Bug 324645 - <a ping> support should be opt-in, not opt-out, for Gecko-based apps
- Bug 415168 - Disable <a ping> for Firefox 3