Browser.history expire days
Mozilla keeps a set number of days of history. History entries older than that are removed. This preference determines the point at which history entries are expired and removed.
Possible values and their effects
A non-negative integer indicating the number of days of history data the browser keeps. Default is 9 for SeaMonkey 1.x and Firefox 2; default is 180 for Firefox 3 and SeaMonkey 2.
Mozilla Firefox 2
“Tools → Options → Privacy → History → Remember visited pages for the last ___ days”
Mozilla Firefox 3
No UI in Firefox 3. See browser.history_expire_days_min.
“Edit → Preferences → Navigator → History → Browsing History → Remember visited pages for the last ___ days”
“Edit → Preferences → Browser → History → Browsing History → Remember visited pages for up to ___ days”
First checked in
Has an effect in
- Mozilla Firefox (all versions)
- SeaMonkey (all versions)
- Bug 55293 - Pages in history don't expire after x days while mozilla is running
- Bug 332748 – Limit history to 20000 entries (new pref browser.history_expire_visits) in addition to 180 days
- Bug 402880 – figure out pref UI for history expiration / limiting visits
- Bug 403572 – Honor a user's preferences for retaining history entries