Mozilla Suite and Firefox store the disk cache in the "Cache" directory located in the profile folder or, in SeaMonkey and Firefox 1.5 and above, in the "profile temp directory" . The Cache directory location can be viewed in about:cache.
The Cache location can be changed by adding the "browser.cache.disk.parent_directory" preference and entering a folder path. (In the past, this was specified in the "browser.cache.disk.directory" preference and before that, "browser.newcache.directory" and "browser.cache.directory" behaved similarly.) Once this preference is specified, a new directory named “Cache” will be created at the path you set, upon browser restart.
Note: In Windows, if the "browser.cache.disk.parent_directory" value is being set in the prefs.js or user.js file instead of about:config, the path separator must be two backslashes (e.g., "C:\\Path\\To\\Parent").
Possible values and their effects
Any path with full write permissions by the current user is considered valid. As mentioned above, the actual disk cache contents will be stored in a directory beneath this path.
- The disk cache must be turned on for this preference to have an effect.
- The disk cache’s capacity must be set to a positive integer for any files to be written to the specified directory.
Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey
A “Choose Folder” button is available under “Edit → Preferences → Advanced → Cache”.
A fast, local hard disk is the best choice for storing your disk cache files. If you’re concerned about privacy, you may want to look into creating a RAM disk and using that as the location for your cache.
First checked in
Has an effect in
- Mozilla Suite (all versions since 0.9.5)
- SeaMonkey (all versions)
- Mozilla Phoenix (all versions)
- Mozilla Firebird (all versions)
- Mozilla Firefox (all versions)
- Camino (all versions)
- Bug 74085 - [Win] Disk cache should use local directory (CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA)
- Bug 78480 - Can’t seem to set the cache directory as of 30042001 build
- Bug 216204 - Mac OS X disk cache should use ~/Library/Cache
- Bug 239254 - [Linux] Support disk cache on a local path
- Bug 291033 - Enable support for profile temp directory on local filesystem
- Bug 373512 – 'Local Settings/x.y' directory not created/used immediately after account creation when using '-profilemanager', for XPC.mfl/XUL.mfl/Cache/...