From MozillaZine Knowledge Base
(Difference between revisions)
Revision as of 14:18, 19 September 2005
What is a theme?
A theme is a visual design or style for the application. Each application (Firefox, Thunderbird, or Mozilla Suite) comes with a default theme, but you can also choose from a variety of other themes available to find one (or more!) that suits your own personal tastes. By changing themes, you can get a new color scheme, a different set of icons, and a whole new look and feel to the application.
Sources for themes
Unless otherwise noted, each site has themes for Firefox, Thunderbird, and the Mozilla Suite.
- Mozilla Update: a good place to browse available themes.
- The Extensions Mirror: has numerous themes for Firefox and for Thunderbird.
- Mozdev: a list of links to sites of some of the people who create themes.
- Themes forum at MozillaZine: a good place to check out themes that are currently being developed, or to discover themes that are not available at Mozilla Update.
After you've installed a theme, as described below, you must exit and restart the application before it can be used.
- When you find a theme that you want to install, click on the on "Install" or "Install Now" link.
- Alternatively, save the theme to your computer and install using this extension.
- Note: with Firefox 1.0.2 on Mac OS X with Tabbrowser Extensions installed, themes will not install from the web. Only using latest version of Themer extension works.
- After finding a theme that you want to install, first save it to your computer (right-click on the download link and choose "Save Link As...") in a convenient location. Then in Thunderbird go to the "Tools" menu, select "Themes", press the "Install" button, browse to the theme that you just downloaded, and click "OK".
- When you find a theme that you want to install, click on the "Install" link.
To switch among your installed themes, use the application's built-in interface. After selecting a new theme to use, you will need to restart the application to see it.
Firefox & Thunderbird
- 'Go to "Tools -> Themes", select the theme you want to use, and click the "Use Theme" button.'
- Go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Themes", select the theme you want to use, and click the "OK" button.
The best way to uninstall a theme is through the application's built-in interface.
Firefox & Thunderbird
- Go to "Tools -> Themes", select the theme you want to uninstall, and click the "Uninstall" button.
- Go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance -> Themes", select the theme you want to uninstall, and click the "OK" button. Note that you cannot uninstall the two pre-installed themes ("Classic" and "Modern") or the theme that you are currently using.