From MozillaZine Knowledge Base
If you want to alphabetize the newsgroups for a particular server (or want to sort them in any other order):
- Close Thunderbird.
- Go to the "News" folder in your profile folder.
- Make a temporary backup copy of the "<account-name>.rc" file
- Modify the "<account-name>.rc" file with Notepad or Wordpad. You can arrange them any way you want with cut and paste.
Save the file and start Thunderbird.
Note: You should make a backup copy before manually editing any file in your profile directory. Thunderbird should also be closed when manually editing files in your profile directory.
As my enhancement request timed out I decided to post this "quick&dirty workaround"... (tested with linux, not yet with windows)
- Purpose: For people who have subscribed to many (e.g. >100) newsgroups on one server it might be of interest not only to sort their groups alphabetically - but also to group them into different folders
- Principle: for each folder needed, add a different alias entry (pointing to your newsserver) to your /etc/hosts (or wherever else the "hosts" file is located in your system)
- Now you can add multiple news accounts (one for each alias) and thunderbird sets up a top level folder entry for each alias.
- Finally, you can subscribe to different newsgroups in each of your "virtual" servers ;-)